Plant Manager (USA)
BuzziSpace (www.buzzispace.com) is a Belgian brand that creates solutions for happy and healthy work and living spaces around the world. This successful design brand produces original acoustic customisation, lighting and design furniture, using sound-absorbing eco felt. ‘Fun’ and ‘Functional’ go hand in hand, and the company has won multiple design awards as a result of the close cooperation between the in-house studio and first-class designers. BuzziSpace constantly challenges itself to introduce a unique collection to the market time after time.
BuzziSpace was founded in 2007 and has evolved to become an award-winning leader in acoustics. The company, which is based in Kontich, has an international presence in showrooms in Antwerp, New York, Chicago and Aachen and its own manufacturing facilities in Bladel (NL) and High Point (US). Ten years on and BuzziSpace has 180 employees, 80 product families and 50 awards for its ‘Happy & Healthy Workspace’. BuzziSpace recently joined forces with Haworth, an international, family-run company. This collaboration aims to generate faster growth through continued expansion of the manufacturing plant in High Point (North Carolina), founded in 2014.
Therefore, the company is looking for a driven Plant Manager (m/f) whose style and talent make him or her the perfect fit for BuzziSpace's growth scenario.
As Plant Manager in High Point (US) you have broad and challenging responsibility for all operational flows and processes in the manufacturing plant. You are responsible for a team of four managers (Production, Customer Service, Supply Chain and Facility) and you are the go-to person for all High Point employees. You motivate, coach, steer and elevate your team to a higher level. You play a pivotal role in the company, at the operational as well as the human level.
The position involves the following tasks:
- You are responsible for day-to-day management of the site as a whole. The team consists of around ten workers (supervised by the production manager), eight Customer Service Employees (supervised by a team leader), six Supply Chain Employees (supervised by a Supply Chain Manager) and diverse support services such as Facility. The Sales Department, Finance and HR do not fall under your direct responsibility and are managed by HQ (Kontich).
- Your job is to ensure that production runs as smoothly as possible and delivers optimal quality with respect for the established production dates. You examine the results and actively reflect on KPIs and follow-up projects in the manufacturing environment.
- Now that the business has been up and running for four years, BuzziSpace High Point is ready for the next step. There are plans to introduce new and more complex products, which are already being manufactured at the factory in Bladel (NL).
- The aim is for the business to mirror the organisation of the manufacturing site in Bladel (NL). In this objective you serve as a role model in terms of innovative thinking and improving processes. Lean Management holds no secrets for you.
- You have an eye for the quality of finished products and projects. You ensure the margin of error is small. Your involvement and knowledge enable you to respond quickly to complaints, both internal and external.
- You provide your team with leadership and make sure that everyone is happy in his or her role. Your drive and charismatic, and above all, empathetic management style mean that everyone strives for the same goal. You succeed in getting the best out of people, of motivating them and increasing their enthusiasm in the pursuit of optimal involvement. In a nutshell: you speak the language of the shop floor.
- As Plant Manager you maintain a helicopter view. On the other hand you are happy to roll up your sleeves and lend a hand when necessary. You have a hands-on mentality.
- You will spend the first few months being trained in Kontich and/or Bladel. Once in High Point you will regularly consult with the head office in Kontich. You are the bridge builder and ensure close links between the two plants.
- Ideally you have a Master's degree and have acquired at least six years of relevant experience in management roles in manufacturing and operations.
- Experience in a similar context (make to order manufacturing / off the rack) is a major asset, but not a must.
- The preferred candidate is used to working in an international context and/or has already worked as an expat.
- The fit with the culture of BuzziSpace and an affinity with manufacturing are important.
- You look forward to relocating to High Point for an undetermined period of time and are looking for a long-term engagement.
- You are an entrepreneurial and flexible person who is quick-witted and an effective self-organiser. You work in a structured manner and communicate efficiently in English as well as Dutch. You are adept at solving ad hoc issues and take things into your own hands.
- You are an enthusiastic and empathetic people manager. You are an effective and motivational leader and strive for the group result. You maintain close contact with the shop floor, you know what is going on and build personal relationships throughout the organisation.
- As a manager you demonstrate the appropriate degree of innovative thinking. You are able to question the status quo. You encourage progress and renewal. Your helicopter view allows you to bring more structure to the manufacturing process and the entire organisation, and effectively steer processes.
- You speak and write Dutch and English fluently.
A challenging adventure of heading off to America as an expat. Accommodation is provided, and a good school is found for your children, if applicable.
You get the opportunity to take on operational responsibility in the plant in High Point, in which you will receive adequate support from the head office in Kontich.
You actively work towards achieving growth and increasing the organisation's professionalism.
In short, this represents an outstanding career opportunity in a dynamic and growing organisation.